Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The abscess has returned

One night in college, I was lying in bed, tensing about some upcoming exam. Somehow, I pushed my teeth in a way that created a abscess in my right lower central incisor. Whenever I would bite into a whole apple or a sandwich with thick bread, it would aggravate it such that within a day my entire gums would be inflamed. The tooth itself was more sensitive and always felt loose.

After moving to Chicago, I found a great dentist who performed a root canal on this tooth. It was relatively painless given the location of the tooth, and it worked like a charm. On some occasions, like changes in weather, that tooth would feel weird, but it would never hurt.

Some eight years later, I seem to have done it again, possibly after biting into a whole apple, which I was able to do in the years since the procedure. This means I can't really enjoy any sandwich that has thick or tough bread without feeling the consequences afterwards. On Monday, after enjoying yet another JoJo from Caffe Rom, I could feel that tooth getting angry. Fortunately, my entire gums haven't inflamed yet.

My present employer doesn't have dental insurance, and I completely understand why, but now I have to figure out what to do. I suppose I'll wait until after the bonus at the end of the year.

No comments: